The Reiki Digest is a free publication - You can help keep it that way (and enjoy great discounts) by patronizing our carefully selected advertisers! Thanks for your support!

Heal Your Life 468x60


Thursday, April 16, 2009

More comments on the Catholic bishops' guidelines on Reiki

Our discussion continues on the US  Conference of Catholic Bishops' recent denunciation of Reiki. If you're just joining us, you can find previous comments on this topic here and here.

Before we get to this week's comments, I'd like to sound a cautionary note about what we're doing here. While all comments are welcome as long as they are on topic and civil, I'm becoming concerned about the tone some are taking. I believe we should be focusing on speaking for Reiki, rather than criticizing the Catholic church in general. For one thing, "dissing" the bishops or the Catholic church is probably the least effective means of getting them to reconsider. Also, Reiki practitioners who are Catholics can speak for themselves within the organization. Those of us who are not, IMHO, would be more effective concentrating on correcting the misinformation on which the bishops' decision was based. Thanks!

Lilia V. Marquez wrote:

I was disappointed with the announcement made by the Catholic Bishops. I was raised as a Catholic and attended a Catholic school during my grade school years.
Each one of us has an innate ability to heal ourselves and Reiki is one of the many tools that we can use for ourselves.

Reiki is a Japanese healing technique that utilizes deep relaxation to calm the mind, reduce stress, relax the body, and ease the spirit. Reiki can be combined with other healing modalities. Reiki is NOT a religion. . . .
“The mission of Usui Reiki Ryoho (Healing Art/Method) is to enhance mutual well-being for oneself and others, on one hand, by fulfilling a peaceful and joyful life mentally and physically and, on the other, healing the sick”. –Usui Sensei
Reiki is such a Blessing in my life and one of the reasons why I'm enjoying life to the fullest.


Michelle wrote:

I am blown away every day at how our religious leaders attempt to 'control' the masses....so many sisters practice this healing technique, will they be banished! The Pope has not yet given his blessings either way, how did it get this far without it! But then again, a Pope who has no time to visit with victims from an earthquake in the most holy of lands shouldn't be expected to think about peoples healing....

Rose de Dan wrote:

As I wrote in my blog article Reiki Attunements for Animals (the writing of which was inspired by the very same ruling of the Catholic Bishops), it was this history of persecution that caused me to break away from the Catholic Church as a teenager, a decision I have never regretted.

As a former Catholic it saddens me to see that the Catholic Church has once again chosen to act from the emotions of fear and segregation, rather than choosing to embrace the true teachings of Christ which teach love and acceptance. What are they afraid of?

Their stand does not seem to offer healing or Christ-like compassion to those who are ill and who need it most. Many people who could have benefited from the complementary modality called Reiki may now suffer for the Church's narrow-mindedness.

It is my intention to send Reiki to the situation. Hopefully other "healing" institutions that have their focus on the true benefits of complementary health care for their patients will expand the programs that they offer.


John Coleman wrote:

It is encouraging to see that the Bishops are aware of Reiki. It is disappointing to see that they appear to fear Reiki for what it can facilitate (self empowerment for one and why would they fear this, I wonder!!).

Some years ago in Ireland a leading Catholic Priest came out with a similar stance on Reiki. The result was a growth in the use of Reiki by many Catholics. I trust the same outcome will come as a result of this sad publication.

Interestingly they are guidelines only, surely if they felt so strongly about Reiki they would make it compulsory not to use it, or do they simply prefer..as usual.. to spread fear in the minds of the laity who still respect them.


Alice Norris wrote:

I am Alice Norris, an extraordinary Reiki Master. My beliefs are Christian to some, and atheistic to others. I no longer adhere to many concepts that the church supports. The state of the church saddens me. I left the non-Catholic church I was in due [to] belief disagreement. It seems that Christ's teachings have been completely lost in today's church. The love and power that Jesus spoke of is no longer in the church. The church I attended was completely against any form of healing, while Jesus said we would do greater things than he was doing. He was a healer, and if I want to follow him, I should be doing similar things. I am (although it may sound horrible to some of you) hoping that this further church dogma will shake some great people into realizing the truth beyond their familiar authority figures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home